- PITCUR, FORD of, a hamlet, in the parish of Kettins, county of Forfar, 2½ miles (S. E.) from Cupar-Angus; containing 45 inhabitants. It is situated in the southern part of the parish, on the great road from Cupar-Angus to Dundee, and is one of six villages or hamlets within the limits of Kettins which formerly had each a chapel: it is now a very small place. The castle of Pitcur, not far from the hamlet, and some time in ruins, gave the title of baron, now extinct, to the ancient and noble family of Hallyburton, the chief of that name. A tumulus here, found about fifty years since, contained at least a thousand loads of stones; in the centre of it were some unwrought stones, without date or character, in the hollow formed by which, human bones were deposited. Hallyburton, a laird of Pitcur, fell, along with Viscount Dundee, at the battle of Killiecrankie in the year 1689.
A Topographical dictionary of Scotland. Samuel Lewis. 1856.
Look at other dictionaries:
Kettins — KETTINS, a parish, in the county of Forfar; containing, with the villages of Campmuir, Ford of Pitcur, Ley of Hallyburton, and Peatie, 1109 inhabitants, of whom 171 are in the village of Kettins, 1 mile (S. E. by E.) from Cupar Angus. This… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland